It’s hard to believe but we only have one more day left at the university! Time sure flies when you’re having fun. It feels like yesterday when our plane finally touched down. Without a doubt this experience has been unbelievable.
From traveling around Europe, I have not only met a lot of people from all around the world but also figured out a lot about myself. It’s crazy how in 4 weeks you can learn so much about a different culture that helps shape your outlook on America and the world. Just from being here I have gained even more independence and confidence in myself. Just something about getting lost in the middle of nowhere with your friends but finally finding your way is invigorating.
As much as I hate to admit it, every single cliché about traveling is completely and utterly correct.
1.You will take a picture of almost every meal because everything just looks amazing!
2. Time really does fly when you are having fun!
3. You will get lost…. For me….. more than once.
4. Laughing is a universal language. No matter where we went this was one thing everyone had it common.
5. You will be homesick. Yes I have to admit, I miss my family and friends A LOT!
6. On the same note, when it’s time to leave you will do everything in your power to stay.
7. Traveling is exhausting! All those steps add up and at night you can’t wait to get to bed!
8. Take the road less traveled. Believe it or not, the unknown places can be just as fun, if not more fun than the popular spots of Europe.
9. When preparing to travel, lay out all your clothes and money. Take half your clothes and twice the money. So sad but oh so true.
10. I’ve met a lot of people in Euorpe. I’ve even encountered myself – James Baldwin.
Tomorrow we have 2 finals, an exiting lunch and then the USA vs. Netherlands soccer game! This week has flown by. We had a couple days of classes and a field trip this week to visit regional companies. The first stop was at a Stroop (Dutch jam) factory. Unfortunately, they went out of business in the late 80’s so we mainly heard about the history of the factory and saw some of the old machines. For this stop, the best part was getting to try the different flavors. If you haven’t learned by now, I ABSOLUTLY LOVE anything with the word free before it!
The next stop was at Brand Brewery. They are a regional beer distributor who is now under the Heineken Company. I found this visit very interesting, I love hearing about how a company positions themselves in order to be profitable in a certain market. Once again, at the end we had a free beer tasting, which I’m pretty sure everyone enjoyed!