Giant’s Causeway

Giant’s Causeway

After being here since January, I finally made it out of Belfast and ventured out to the Northern Coast on a Game of Thrones tour. The tour was more amazing than I could have imagined.

While I really enjoy Belfast, I was beginning to feel stifled. With the constant rain, same views, and non-stop studying, I was in need of a break. The Game of Thrones tour was an event offered through the Queen’s residential life at a major reduced cost of most Game of Thrones tours. We were shown many filming locations along the North Coast and given insider secrets of the filming of the series.

The weather on the day of the tour was complete rubbish, but I didn’t even mind. Winds that almost knocked you over, rain that pelted your face, and cold that left you numb could not compare to the experience of the North Coast. The views were unbelievable and the smell of the North Sea is my new favorite scent. The tour lasted from 9:00 in the morning until 6:00 at night, and it was well worth the money.

While we saw many amazing places, my favorite location was the Giant’s Causeway. While it is smaller than most pictures make it seem, it is not any less magnificent. There is a small walk (or shuttle bus ride for £1 each way) down to the Causeway, and the walk is half of the experience. There are costal views to see along the way and you can take a few minutes to really breathe in that coastal air and relax. As a college student relaxing does not come easily, but I’m learning to enjoy myself in this country.