A Month So Far

A Month So Far

Probably the best part of living in Europe is how close you are to other fascinating countries. This past weekend, I got my first experience of that in Paris. A challenge for myself was trying to wrap around another, completely different culture than the already complex one that I am currently learning back in Spain. However, the city of Paris had so much to offer that I didn’t myself getting distracted while navigating through the City of Lights.

It was the first trip that we planned as a group together, and now we wanted to see how it would work out. Something we got to experience that never happens at LVC was subways. Now with how vast of a city Paris is the metro became a reliable resource to get to multiple destinations quickly. I myself have experienced subways in Boston and New York a couple of times, and I can assure that they are not easy. Unless someone has taken the time to figure out what station is closest to your destination, which line to get on that is the quickest, and which stations operate those kinds of lines, it is very difficult. Looking back through the hassle of dealing with urban transportation, it actually made me feel more confident in preparing for a life in the city if needed.

The main highlights of Paris were visiting the Eiffel Tower and The Louvre. It would almost be impossible to spend an entire weekend in Paris and not have a chance to see the tower. The weather prevented climbs to the top of the tower, but it was still fortunate to get a glimpse of it, especially at night. After an early morning flight on Friday, it felt good to take some time to get to the city and get a crepe after seeing the Eiffel Tower. The next day was when the fun started. Some of us woke up early to get a tour of the famous catacombs. It was a nice history lesson that culminated with a dark past of France. After a nice French breakfast at a nearby cafe, we hit the metro to go see the famous Arc de Triomphe. Once profile pictures were decided and Snapchat stories were complete, we broke off again. I joined a group that visited the Louvre, which houses the famous Mona Lisa. It was hectic seeing so many people trying to get a picture of Da Vinci’s finest work. At the end of the day, it was an enjoyable time being able to see the many parts of Paris that make it a continuous tourist destination. This might have only been my first trip to another European country, but this gives me more motivation to explore the endless possibilities offered here.