Lab Experiences at LVC

Lab Experiences at LVC

I really enjoy working in both chemistry and biology labs. Among all the labs, there are two labs that I liked the most. The first one is my independent study that I am doing in organic chemistry field and another one is mammalian anatomy lab. In the independent study, I am currently working on finding a way to maximize the synthesis of Lactone that is found in Greek Tobacco. Besides learning the cool facts and new information everyday from literature and research, I have learned and have been learning to use different instruments. Now, I know techniques such as running NMR both proton and carbon, High-Performance Liquid Chromatography (HPLC), regular Column chromatography, Liquid chromatography-mass spectrometry (LCMS) and so on. I feel that coming to LVC and taking these labs, has given me an opportunity to have a hands-on experience on those different instruments, which many students from other colleges lack.

Dissecting a cat in mammalian anatomy laboratory class is another thing that I have enjoyed the most. Currently, in the lab, we have had to memorize all the names, insertion, origin, and actions of the muscles and need to relate them to human muscles. This was hard, but I enjoyed it because I am curious in learning new things and I like challenges. I only had a little bit of theoretical knowledge about anatomy and physiology. When I imagine and drew structure and locations of the organs, it was based on the picture that I have learned in the book. It was just so cool to learn that overall anatomy looks different in reality than it does in the book. This gives me an insight that we need to have as much practical knowledge as theoretical in order to be well educated in a specific field, especially in the medical field. Both labs have helped prepare me on pursuing my academic goals. My plan is to go to medical school or to go to a graduate school focusing on chemistry.