Lebanon Valley College Study Abroad

Viaggio Opzionale, Parte Uno: Pompei e Sorrento

Every semester, Umbra offers (for a price) an optional trip for students to take part in to the south of Italy. For us, it was to Pompei, Capri, and Naples.

Our trip began bright and early Friday morning as we all hopped on a bus headed towards Pompei. My mom told me that my dad asked if people lived in Pompei, and I laughed because the answer is no. There’s nothing in Pompei thanks to Mount Vesuvius, and so once we had finished touring what was left of its ruins (and hearing various songs performed in the amphitheater there by other tour groups), we hopped back on our bus and headed to Sorrento, where we would be staying for the next two nights.

Around dinner, my friends and I decided to go exploring, and since we have been landlocked in Perugia, we all headed down to the shore to sit along the water; on the way, we ran into about 15 other Umbra kids with the same idea.

On our way back for dinner, we found a lemon tree grove across the street from our hotel. We walked down this long pathway through the trees only to stop at a single counter where a lady was giving away free samples of limoncellos in hopes that you’ll buy a bottle (or 5). Free limoncellos are a form of a compliment that restaurants often give to customers they enjoyed serving. However, in the southern part of Italy, it is simply a summertime drink as lemons grow very well in that region (so well, in fact, that some of them are the size of little soccer balls).

We eventually managed to make it back to our hotel for dinner and then to crash because we’d already had a very long day – and it was only the first of three.