Lebanon Valley College Study Abroad

Viaggio Opzionale, Parte Due: Capri (e Anacapri)

The second day of our trip consisted of the Umbra staff getting us to the island of Capri and then setting us loose. My friends and I hopped on the funicollare to take us up to the center of town (just like in Orvieto), and from there we split up into two groups – one went exploring down hill, and the other went up hill. I went up (because that meant that I could come down afterwards, and downhill is always the easy part). We passed a bunch of little souvenir shops and small restaurants trying to entice people to come in by displaying pictures outside of celebrities that had visited once before. We found a small church (of course) with a free book stand outside (which I would’ve have jumped for joy at if I were able to read Italian), and then we realized that upwards from there was residential, and so we headed down.

We ran into the first group in the center, and they directed us towards the sights to see on their path.  We descended away from the center and we passed a gelato stand that sold limoncello gelato. Since we seemed to be starring in James Tourists and the Giant Peach Lemon, we each got a cone – with three flavors. Each cone had limoncello as one flavor, but then I decided to also get cioccolato (chocolate) and fragola (strawberry). From here, we kept walking south and ended up at Parco Augusto, which we payed 1€ to enter and get our first really great view of the island we were spending our day on. My friends and I spent some time here taking pictures before we went to meet up with our friends at the center.

The 10 of us walked from the center down to the harbor, and from here we bought tickets for a boat tour around the island. It was so spectacular, and it was a great way to see parts of the island that either 1. weren’t accessible on foot or 2. required more time than we were allotted to access. It was also a really great way to relax: to just sit back, soak up the sun, and let the sea rock you away to paradise.

After the boat ride, we all split up again. Some people wanted to go shopping, some to sit on the beach, and as for me and two other friends – we wanted to go to the very top. Anacapri is like the equivalent of a “township” on the island. The three of us took a taxi up to the center of Anacapri, and from here, we caught a chairlift to the top of Mount Solaro, the highest point on the island.