Lebanon Valley College Study Abroad

Sotto il Sole della Toscana

After Paris, I was worn out. I had nothing planned for the next weekend but to sleep – and of course I decided that since I can sleep when I get back to the states, that I needed to change that and make the most of my weekend.

My roommate, Annie, and I decided that with her lone free Friday, we would make a day trip to Cortona, which happens to be the little town that Under the Tuscan Sun is set in. There isn’t really much to do here, and you can explore the majority of it in an afternoon.

So after sorting out an issue we had in figuring out what train we were supposed to be on, navigating the town we ended up in for a bus stop that would take us up to the top of the hill that was actually Cortona, and trekking uphill into the main square, we were starting to question whether our trip was worth all this trouble. It was.

Cortona’s small, but it’s beautiful. Because you’re high up on a hill, you have some really wicked aerial views of the Tuscan countryside, the mountains, and Lake Trasimeno. The weather was beautiful (something pretty rare for Italy these days, since we’ve been getting mostly fog an rain), so Annie and I had no problem just walking along and sightseeing. We even stumbled upon this organic wine shop, where the owner invited us in for a tasting! (#freestuff)

Back in Perugia after a nice day out with my roommate, we picked up Rebecca (another roommate), went out to dinner at a restaurant right outside our apartment, and went stargazing in the piazza because some astronomers had brought out their telescopes for kids to enjoy. (We saw Jupiter and it’s three moons, and Pleiades!)

I’d probably say that on my list of Top Fridays, that one was probably up there. Thanks to my roommates for making it so awesome; you guys are just two of the best parts of this semester. (: