Lebanon Valley College Study Abroad

Spring Break

I spent my spring break adventure with two fellow students, Alisha and Ryan. We left the busy city of Buenos Aires at 8:10pm on March 7 and embarqued on a bus trip that lasted about 13 hours.
Thankfully, I was able to sleep on the ride but it was more like a series of naps than one solid night of sleep. Then, around 6:30am, though I had adamantly decided that I did not wanted to use the bus bathroom, I realized that the needs of my bladder outweighed my disgust of the condition of the toilet. So, as we were on a double-decker bus, I climbed down the short flight of stairs and made my way toward the door that promised relief on the other side. However, when I reached it I had such a problem opening it that I was forced to go ask my traveling companion, Alisha, how to accomplish this seemingly impossible task; to which her response was, “You just have to pull it really hard.”
Armed with my newly acquired knowledge I again made my way down the stairs, more confidently this time, yanked the door open and completed what I had set out to do. Then, as bus bathrooms and porta-potties have the habit of doing, I experienced a few seconds of panic as I could not figure out the correct way to turn the lock and began envisioning myself locked in the tiny germ infested space for the rest of my life… but as I am now writing this blog post one can determine that my imaginings did not come true and I did successfully make my way out of the bathroom.
Once back in my seat and cuddled up with Spoon, the stuffed dog my boyfriend gave me, I settled in for another 2 hour nap. However, apparently the bus driver had other plans for my sleep because at 7:15 after only a few minutes of studying my eyelids, all the lights in the bus came on and everyone was ordered to get off and eat breakfast. While, I would usually jump at the opportunity to be forced to consume food I do not like to do so at such an unreasonable hour of the morning. However, I accepted my fate and after running my head right into the small TV suspended to one side of the bus aisle, which was a result of my groggy state and not the fact that I am clumsy, I ventured into the great outdoors to see what sort of food would provide my stomach with satisfaction.
The place that we stopped to eat was a big pink hostel (which can be seen in my pictures). We went inside and sat on some very uncomfortable wooden chairs and looked down at our plates. There rested two dry medialunas (or croissants) and a mug whose empty interior promised the arrival of some sort of delicious hot liquid. However, I soon discovered that they had apparently run out of even satisfactory drinks and my mug instead provided me with the worst cup of coffee I had ever tasted!
Finally, after losing no one to the nasty breakfast, we gathered what was left of our taste buds, got back on the bus, and settled in for a little more sleep until we reached our destination; Mendoza, Argentina. Once we got to the station we purchased some bus tickets for other legs of our journey and set out to find a taxi to take us to our hostel. However, after observing the long line of humanity waiting to get a cab we decided to cart ourselves and our luggage the twenty blocks to our hostel. So, I got my exercise for the week and was therefore able to justify getting some amazingly swell ice cream later.
When we finally got there and had settled in to our room I walked downstairs and observed something shocking! The hostel’s entryway was filled with other students from the Fundacion (the school I attend). Apparently my fellow comrades had also decided to come to Mendoza and unknowingly booked the same hostel. In all there ended up being around 14 of us there.
As I was worn-out from the long bus ride, and lack of time inspecting my eyelids, I was not up for any great escapades that day. So, we went out to lunch and then I got ice cream and went back to the hostel with the intention to lay out on the roof and get some sun and perhaps a nap. The former was accomplished but the latter did not happen because I made a friend :) His name was Evan and he had taken a semester off to travel around South America and therefore had plenty of stories to regale me with. I also found out that he was a Philosophy major with a minor in English Literature and we spent quite some time talking about the importance of these two educational pursuits.
In the evening, as the hostel was equipped with a full kitchen, we went grocery shopping and made a scrumptious dinner. The rest of the night was really chill as I wanted to get plenty of rest so that I would have energy for the remainder of our trip. I spent the evening hanging out in a hammock, eating some malbec grapes (the best grapes I had ever had), and chatting with mi amigos. All in all it was a great start to what would be a wonderful adventure :)