Lebanon Valley College Study Abroad Fall 2012

Lebanon Valley College

Im in LONDON!!!!

Hi everyone my name is Corine Denny and I am studying abroad in LONDON!!! Currently, I am a junior accounting major at LVC. While I am here in London I will be taking two different psychology classes, one art class, and one business class. I am really lucky because I only have classes on Tuesdays and Wednesdays.

Anyways, London is an amazing city! A group of 10 LVC students, including myself, arrived here last Monday around 6 am London time (1 am eastern time). Between the 5 hour time difference and the 7 hour plain ride (which was impossible to sleep on) we were completely exhausted. However, to avoid jet lag we defied our desire to sleep and stayed awake by walking around and exploring our new environment. We made a pact to stay up until 9 pm. It was almost impossible for me to stay awake but I pushed through it and was able to make it to 9 pm. The next morning I woke up relieved to find out my jet lag had faded.

The most interesting thing I have learned so far has to be the cultural differences between the U.S. and the U.K.. Although English is my first language, I feel like I am learning a foreign language over here in England.  For example, they call a line a queue and they call sweat pants tracky bottoms. It has been challenging for me to stop using my American vocabulary and start phrasing things the way a normal British girl would. In my next blog, I will put up a British vocabulary list and explain some of the cultural differences I have noticed.

Talk to you soon  and best wishes from the U.K.

Corine Denny