Lebanon Valley College Study Abroad Fall 2012

Lebanon Valley College

Hello from Perugia!

Perugia

Wow! I can’t think of any other words to express how I am feeling when I look around at what surrounds me. My name is Alex Garlick and I am a junior Physical Therapy major/ Sociology minor student at Lebanon Valley College. I took this opportunity to study abroad because I knew I would not get a chance like this until later in life. I chose to study in Perugia because I wanted to learn Italian and I thought, ‘What better way to learn the language?’ Let’s be honest, the food is definitely not an issue either! I have been in Italy since August 31st so I have so much to say but I’ll try to keep it to a short story rather than a novel (those who know me well know that I tend to take forever to tell stories, due to the fact that I include every single detail). The first week of living in Italy came with its ups and downs, just like anywhere else in the world. Intensive Italian classes came with confusion, frustration, and curiousity of ‘how am I EVER going to learn this language well enough to speak with the locals?’ Classes officially started this past Monday, the 10th, and I am enrolled in four courses totalling 15 credits. I am taking Contemporary Italy: Culture and Society, the History and Culture of Italian Food, Photography, and of course Italian. I am making a lot of new friends and my roommates are some of the greatest guys ever. I know that when I am able, I will be flying out to Colorado to visit them. After such a short period of time, I can tell that this experience will be one of the best decisions I have ever made and I am only getting started. I will try to update my journey about three times a week so it can have some chronological order to it. I am not exactly sure how blogs work, but feel free to leave me comments and questions about anything! I am doing this so that I can help anyone thinking about studying abroad and give them guidance with how life is in a foreign country. Hopefully this hasn’t bored you to death and you are able to follow my thoughts. I will end this first blog entry with a photo that I took on the first day that we arrived in Perugia and I hope you enjoy!

Thanks,
Alex