Skiing with snow!

Pan merge

Earlier, I posted about Daniel and Panka’s adventures at ski school.  This weekend we were able to finally put their skills to the test at a nearby resort in Mátraszentistván.  Hungary isn’t exactly a mountainous country, so there aren’t a lot of great skiing options in the country (especially with the Alps beckoning nearby).  Still, Dora found a nice place in a hilly region east of Budapest called the Mátra, where we spent 2 half days on the slopes.

DaniPank2

Panka and Dani ready to ski!

I haven’t had a chance to watch kids during their ski lessons since I stay home to watch Matthew, so this outing was my first chance to see them on skis.  I was super impressed with their new skills.  They really look natural on the hill; firmly in control and starting to make turns very nicely as well.  We stuck mostly to the easy trail, but both of them tackled a more difficult medium grade slope during the trip.  Panka’s challenging experience came about mostly by accident.  The most difficult part for Panka was actually getting up the hill (no chair lifts, just surface lifts such as platter lifts or T-bar lifts that tow you up the hill), and on our first time up the biggest lift Panka fell off on the steep part.  This led to a mini adventure in which Dani continued up to the top of the hill, during which time I coaxed Panka down the steep slope and then frantically tried to explain the situation to the skilift operators in my broken Hungarian.  Panka did great on the steep trail and everything turned out fine — Daniel and I eventually reunited. Overall, it was a very successful weekend with beautiful snow-covered scenery; we look forward to future family ski outings!