Work — An introduction to ELTE

As I mentioned in my last post, I want to start doing some posts about my work in a research lab in Hungary (yes, I do actually do work here!) I figured I’d start by giving you a brief overview of Eötvös Loránd University, also known as ELTE.  The University is the largest in Hungary, with over 30,000 students.  However, there are several campuses spread across the city, so it doesn’t feel that large.  The Lágymányosi Campus where the Faculty of Sciences resides is located along the Danube, a little over 1 mile from our apartment.  In September, I used a combination of walking and public transportation to commute each day, but this month I’ve given up my pass and am walking to and from the university each day.  So far so good!  It’s nice to get some exercise each day, something I sorely missed in the US.  Here are some photos from the campus where I work:

This first one show some of the neighboring buildings.  The buildings have a very modern look with some unusual architecture.

This picture is actually from my lab window.  Next to the modern buildings is the construction of a new research facility that will house the national academy of sciences.

Here are some shots of the building where I actually work:

Though the building seems to have gone through several additons/renovations, they’ve done a good job of giving it a nice exterior look.  From the inside, you can see different styles in different sections of the building.  All of the offices and labs, even in the older parts, are in pretty decent shape, though.  I’ll devote a full post to what research in the lab is like and how it is similar to and different from my experiences at US universities, but for now, here’s a picture of my actual lab: