Kérsz Fagyit?

They say that you can tell a lot about people from the ice cream that they eat (actually, I just made that up, but it sounds about right, doesn’t it?). The ice cream in Hungary differs dramatically from the US, both in consistency and flavors. It is less creamy, but still packs a lot of flavor, with lots of flavors to choose from. Some of the more unusual flavors that I’ve encountered include: gesténye (chestnut), sárgadinnye (Melon, one of Matthew’s favorites), and túró (cottage cheese). I’ve never really been disappointed by any of them.  Also, you can get an ice cream cone (albeit a small scoop) for very cheap.  Thus, we can go as a family for ice cream for a couple of dollars total at night and not feel like we’re doing serious damage to our health or pocketbook.

In the picture below, you’ll find one of the more decorative ice cream stands that we’ve encountered.  This one is at the base of the castle hill in the village of Szigliget, along the shore of lake Balaton. Some of the unusual flavors in this display are zöldalma (green apple, 2nd from the left and my choice on this day) and sárgadinnye (bottom row toward middle).