U.S.-Hungarian Chemistry Research 2015

I am pleased to announce a new research opportunity sponsored by the National Science Foundation entitled: U.S.-Hungarian Research on Harvesting Light Energy for Redox Chemistry and Biomolecule Labeling.

As part of this project, four students will participate in a 10 week program beginning in late May and concluding at the end of July. Participants will have a 2 week orientation at Lebanon Valley College prior to departure followed by a 8 week research experience at Eötvös Loránd University.

Program features:

  • Full travel expenses
  • Room and board
  • $5000 stipend
  • An international research experience at a major research university with close mentorship and interactions with dynamic faculty and students.

Application Deadline: December 5, 2014

The application can be downloaded here:

About our hosts:

Zoltán Novák: The Novak group develops new chemical reactions using transition metal complexes containing iron, copper, and palladium. The group is particularly interested in reactions that functionalize C-H bonds and also uses photochemistry to generate reactive intermediates. Group Website

Peter2Péter Kele: The selective, chemical labeling of biomolecules using a fluorescent probe has applications in bio-technology and medicinal research. The Kele group works on the synthesis and character-ization of fluorophore-containing molecules capable of reactions which are fast, high yielding, and biocompatible with other naturally occurring reactive sites. The group focuses especially on reagents for which a large increase in fluorescence is observed following reaction (“turn on fluorescence”). Group Website

Visiting the Netherlands: Amersfort and Delft

Another impressive thing in the Netherlands were old towns and canals. Even though cities have mainly modern buildings (at least that was our experience), in some cities the old town is well preserved in the center of the city. We visited two such old city centers: Amersfort and Delft. You can find here everything what you picture Holland would be: canals and cobblestone streets lined with narrow old houses. We naturally took a boat tour on the canals – it’s a good way to make sightseeing fun for the kids. Here are some pictures of Amersfort:


Delft is famous for the Delft Blue china produced in town which has characteristic blue decorations. It also has a very nice historic downtown. We visited the main square with the New Church (Nieuwe Kerk) and the City Hall (Stadhuis).

Delft has an important place in dutch history. The founder of the royal family, Willem van Oranje (William of Orange), was assassinated in Delft in 1584. At the time the Netherlands was fighting for its independence from Spanish occupation and Willem of Oranje was the leader of the movement. His body was laid to rest in the Nieuwe Kerk and since then numerous royals from the House of Orange has been buried here. I thought it was funny how the brochure that we got in the church gave a detailed description of what the Dutch did to the assassin, named Balthasar Gerard. Upon further reading I learned that indeed he was tortured and killed brutally, ‘even by the standards of the time’. I guess you don’t cross the Dutch!

Tim, Daniel and Panka walked up to the tower of the church (many hundreds of steps up) where you can have a nice view of the city. The picture of the Stadhuis was taken from atop the Nieuw Kerk.


Visiting the Netherlands: Trains and Bikes

Tim’s mom and dad imigrated from the Netherlands and visit there regulary. So this year we spent 10 days with them in Nunspeet, a small village in the middle of the country.

One of the most impressive things in the Netherlands was the transportation – specifically, the train system and the frequent use of bikes. We ditched the car on this trip and used trains and bikes for all of our transportation. We visited a couple of old towns (Delft, Amersfort, post on these trips upcoming…) by train, and there were always frequently running trains and convenient connections for wherever we went. Dora’s favorite was the double decker train.

When moving within the town, bike is the most convenient form of transportation.  Tim’s aunt, Tante Iet, lives in Nunspeet so we borrowed her and her neighbor’s bike to move around town. Panka loved to ride on the back of Oma’s (Grandma in Dutch) bike. There are many bikers, old and young, traveling through the village (it helps that Holland if very flat).  Check out the extensive bike rack that each train station comes with! Also, our base, Nunspeet, is a favored vacation spot among the Dutch and had lot of winding bike paths through the surrounding forests. We rented bikes for two days and did some short bike trips with the kids.




You might have heard about the huge floods that affected Europe at the beginning of June. Here are some pictures and our experiences from Budapest.

The Danube river flows through Budapest and slices the city into two: Buda and Pest. The Danube starts in the southern part of Germany, in the Black Forest and flows into the Black Sea, in Romania, passing through 10 countries along the way. We heard about the flooding in Germany well before the crest arrived in Budapest, so the city had plenty of time to prepare (in fact, the whole country had to prepare as the Danube runs through the middle of Hungary). Interestingly, we experienced virtually no rain before and during the flood time; it was all the rain upstream in Germany that (over)filled the Danube. The ‘flooding’ was a slow process; the river rose to its highest level for over a week and then took about another week to recede to its normal level.

Budapest has a long history of floods. After an especially destructive 1838 flood, it was decided that protective walls would be built along the river bank. IMG_4915So toward the end of the 19th century those plans became reality and the ‘rakpart’ (‘docks’ in direct translation) was built. ‘Rakpart’ is basically a road lying lower than the city level and is separated from the rest of the city by a high stone wall. You can see on the picture to the right what the ‘rakpart’ is.

When the Danube floods they close the ‘rakpart’ and the river can expand in those areas. On the pictures below you can see how the ‘rakpart’ looks like when the river flooded in June. The road signs popping out of the water show you where the road is (and a sense of how much water is covering it!)  You can also see a floating dock where ships can be boarded . You enter the dock from the ‘rakpart’ level so that is underwater on this picture. The stop for the ship (a glass contraption) is underwater as well. All ship transportation was cancelled during the flood since the ships could not pass under the bridges.


The city can be protected from flooding up to 9 meter high water levels. The recent flood was 8.92 meter high. Phew! 8 centimeters away from disaster. You can how the water crept up to the steps of the Parliament. An underground garage is being built next to the parliament. The building site had to be flooded in advance of the crest so the already built portions would not collapse under the water pressure. IMG_6445trimmed

Grocery Shopping, Hungarian style (by Dora)

Here in Hungary, Matthew and I have a weekly ritual doing the grocery shopping.  Normally, in the US we go to our grocery store by car (how else?). Here in Budapest the first thing I decided was not to use a car for grocery shopping. I wanted to enjoy a year of grocery shopping sans cars. Since we live in a city we were able to carry this out easily. There is a large grocery store (a chain called SPAR) and a market (called piacin Hungarian)in a 10-minute walking distance or two bus stops away from our block. The bus stops almost in front of our house.

spar Piac

Here I can buy everything I need. I use SPAR for milk, bread, meat and other food items. I buy fruits, vegetables and honey at the market. SPAR has those items as well but I like the idea of supporting the small producers at the market. As a bonus the market has on its 3rd floor a really good food court.  It is not your American style food court that you find in the mall. The vendors are all small businesses – no Burger King, Sbarros or KFC here – and the dishes sold are Hungarian staples such as babgulyás, palacsinta, lángos, etc. The food is good and it’s really cheap; for about $3-4 you can buy a full meal of soup, main course and a palacsinta. So sometimes I skip the cooking all together and buy our dinner here ready-made.

So a couple times a week Matthew and I set out on our trip likes this: me with my little ‘pulley’ and Matthew on his ‘motor’. Pulleys and motors are essential part

pulleymotorof life in Budapest. I most often see seniors with pulleys – these are little carts that puts your purchases on wheels making the hauling your groceries home much easier. And the push toy that Matthew is sitting on is the ‘motor’. It resembles a motorbike hence the name. I’ve never seen these in the US and I’m told it’s a Hungarian invention. Indeed, it seems that if you have a toddler in Hungary you must own a ‘motor’.  And it makes sense. It’s not just that the kids like to ride motors but also they can ride motors at the same pace as adults walk. This makes moving around town with your toddler a much more enjoyable experience.

Hungarian Pop

In case you were wondering what kind of music you can listen to in Hungary, here are some Hungarian music Dora likes:

‘Learning to let go’ by Heincz Gábor. This is actually sung in English which considerably takes away from its ‘Hungarianess’.:)

So here is one that is in Hungarian: ‘Kedvesem’ (My Darling) by ByeAlex.

I hope you like one of these.:)

Skiing in the Alps

Alps mergeAfter all of our struggles, we managed to get two wonderful days of skiing at Semmering in the Alps. The original plan was to travel Thursday afternoon, ski on Friday and Saturday, and then return on Sunday.  As it was, we managed to ski all of Saturday and most of Sunday before returning (uneventfully) to Budapest.

As usual, Dora aced the accommodations portion of the trip.  We had a nice apartment, about 30 minutes from the ski resort on top of St. Corona, one of the neighboring peaks. Below you can see the sunrise that greeted us Sunday morning, as well as a peasant home we passed en route to the slopes.
sunrise mergeAustria castle

The weather was perfect for skiing — just around 0 °C — not to cold but not so warm that the snow melts and gets slushy. The slopes themselves had a Family semmering1000 m elevation, so things got a bit chilly near the top.  On Sunday, the weather was a bit hazy, and as we took the second lift to the very top we realized that we were entering a cloud.  The kids were pretty amazed, especially when they realized that clouds aren’t actually made of some fluffy cotton.

Hot csoki

Panka enjoys her hot chocolate



A goal of Dora’s has been to get the kids to ski and to enjoy skiing.  In that respect, the trip was a big success.  There were some nice, easier slopes that the kids enjoyed a lot.  Daniel is the more technical skier, while Panka is a bit of a daredevil.  Toward the end of the trip, the kids took to referring to Dora as “granny”, since she always took her time and was behind us. Here’s a short video of the kids skiing at the end of the trip:



Skiing on M1?

A week ago we went for our big ski trip to the Alps.  While Hungary lacks any large mountains, the eastern edge of the Alps in Austria are just a 3 hour drive away from Budapest.  Or so we thought.  As we were preparing for the trip, Dora’s Dad warned us that a snowstorm was passing through Europe and the forecast didn’t look good for the western part of Hungary.  Naturally, we paid little heed to his advice; he’s usually nervous whenever we go on big trips and has given similar warnings before.

As expected, the snow began to fall as we set out on highway M1 (Thursday, 2:30 PM).  About 30 miles into the trip, the snow began to pick up even more, and the traffic slowed accordingly.  Eventually, we hit a long stretch of stop-and-go traffic, undoubtedly due to an accident up ahead.  Then finally, at 6:30 PM, as we were still less than 60 miles into our trip, the stop-and-go turned into a just plain stop.  As we sat and waited, I put the parking break on and turned off the engine.  As time passed, the possibility that we might not move again became more and more of a reality, and we began to make plans for the evening.  The apartment in Austria needed to be contacted as we would not be arriving as planned (forturnately, Dora’s dad is fluent in German and called for us, since they spoke neither English or Hungarian at the apartment).  Everyone bundled up — fortunately we were dressed for skiing so everyone had plenty of warm clothes available.  Panka and Daniel M1 linewere a bit apprehensive at first (Matthew was safely at home with Dora’s mom, fortunately), but we convinced them that there were plenty of other people around us stuck in exactly the same situation and there were no other alternatives (do you really want to walk out there?).  Turning back was never a possibility, as the Hungarian highways don’t have any turnarounds built into them, and besides the opposing traffic back to Budapest slowed to a stop a few hours after we did.

And so it was.  All night we sat there, and it continued to snow and the wind continued to blow.  We all managed to get some sleep (the kids are more adaptable than the adults, fortunately).  We had 3/4 of a tank of fuel, so we idled the engine every couple of hours to pump a bit of heat into the car.

M1snow2The next morning we awoke with the rising sun.  It was no longer snowing and slowly people began to emerge from the cars and mill around.  From atop the neighboring fuel tanker truck, I was able to get a view of the surroundings — traffic (and snow) piled up, both lanes in both directions, as far as the eye could see.  The hourly news on the radio confirmed this — thousands vehicles stranded on the Hungarian roadways, with the most serious situation on M1 near Győr (our location).

At any given time, the roadways contain an interesting cross-section of the population, and this occasion was no different.  Stranded along with us were other cars and tractor trailor trucks carrying young and old, from a variety of countries (primarily Hungary, Austria, and Slovakia, but also several others) with different languages.  People were traveling for different purposes, with widely varying levels of preparedness.  We were among the most fortunate: access to plenty of warm clothes, food and water, and a full tank of fuel.  Ahead of us was a young Austrian businessman, just trying to make his way home and without any food or water.  Next to him, a young couple with thin jackets and no gloves, along with a small dog than needed to be taken out every couple of hours.  Ahead of them was a family that ran out of fuel overnight.

Information and rumors spread through the stranded travelers.  We were told that the preschool in the neighboring village of Nagyszentjános was open, heated, and had hot tea available.  The exit was a little over a kilometer up the road and there would be vehicles that would take you from there.  There was a rest stop McDonalds a couple of kilometers back that some toward on foot — the local trucker behind us said it was actually 6 kilometers.  We later learned that, not surprisingly, there wasn’t any food left to be purchased there.  Soon villagers from Nagyszentjános were walking amongst the

Food distribution

Food distribution

vehicles, gauging how much food and help was needed.  We were relieved to see some fireman walking down to survey the situation, but later learned that they were only walking because their truck had gotten stuck, and besides they had no food until one of our neighboring cars gave them some.  And everywhere people wondered when it was that we would leave; the prevailing opinion (and confirmed by several “authorities”) was that we would be there another night.

Through the midday, the wind died down and the temperatures became bearable, so the family spent some time out of the car.  Dora borrowed a shovel from the trucker behind us and she and I took turns shoveling the area around are vehicle, imagining that if everyone M1 ski2around did the same we could be free sooner.  Our skiing adventure seemed in jeopardy, so we put the rented skis on Daniel and Panka and had them ski down the small embankment along the side of the road (vertical drop < 2m), much to the amusement of the other stranded travelers. We took a walk up the road and realized that the situation up there was worse; ~100m ahead the highway travelled adjacent to an open field and snow had drifted to a height of over 1 m across the highway.  Interestingly, there wasn’t really that much snow that had fallen, but with the high winds and the “snow fence” created by stopped traffic it all seemed to be concentrated right on the highway.

As the day passed, we continued to ear our supplies: a loaf of bread, fruit, crackers and chocolate, along with Székelykáposzta (cabbage, Székely-style) for dinner (surprisingly good when cold). Night began to fall again and it appeared that the predictions were true and we would be there another night.  A final walk to large drifts ahead brough a glimmer of hope though; ahead lights were visible from a large frontloader furiously clearing the road.  In short order, officials came and instructed all the cars (no trucks) to get in a queue and be ready to go. Soon, at 7:30 PM, 25 hours after we stopped for good and 30 hours since we left Budapest, we were moving again.  All the cars traveled a narrow path cut through the drifts, winding along the side of the road and between tractor trailers.  After about 2 km, we were at the exit, were all traffic was directed toward the city of Győr using side roads.  Győr itself was packed with vehicles, all stranded and waiting to get on M1 toward Budapest (which still wasn’t moving).  But clearing M1 of vehicles was top priority, and there were lots of police directing traffic and keeping our line moving.  Eventually, we reentered the M1 highway northwest of Győr, this part was pristine without a speck of snow or ice.  The opposing direction was still lined for many kilometers with tractor trailers, which were no longer being diverted into Győr.  We called our accomodation in Austria to let them know that we were moving again and would be arriving between 10 and 11PM; they were very understanding and said they’d wait.

And so, just before 11 PM, over 32 hours after our start, we arrived at the village.  We couldn’t find the apartment, but the older woman that runs the apartment spotted us and direct us to our location.  Following a well-deserved night of sleep, we were excited and ready to hit the slopes, which I’ll talk about in my next post!

Here’s a video blog about our experience:

Exploring the Caves of Hungary

Sorry for the long delay between posts!  We’ve been doing some traveling and I’ve been busier than usual at work. The good news is that I have lots to share.  In addition to this post, I have some more great stories from the past weekend (for those who can’t wait, here is a teaser: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U1t3nS47RkU)

But before we get to that, I wanted to share our journey to the caves on the Eastern caves side of Hungary.  They are located in an area know as Aggtelek, adjacent to the border with Slovakia. In total, there are 26 km of caves, which can be accessed from several different points.  We did two separate tours starting from two different points.  It is even possible to take a 7 km/12 hr journey from one end to the other; for this you leave the “beaten path” and have to ford streams and need lamps, etc.  Maybe when the kids are older…

Our first tour started from the village fo Aggtelek and took us for a 1 hour tour through some of the more impressive rooms in the cave system, including the “concert hall” that you see below (yes, they reallly hold concerts here). Later in the afternoon, we took a 2 hour tour, concert hallstarting a point midway in the caves and travelling a couple of kilometers to the other end.  Since it is the “off-season” for the caves, we were the only ones on this tour and we had a really knowledgable and friendly tour guide. The kids really enjoyed seeing the hibernating bats hanging from the ceiling of the cave.

The caves of Aggtelek are really a wonderful and underappreciated part of the country.  Because the area is fairly isolated and not near and large metropolitan arFamily caveseas, it doesn’t get much hype.  Nonetheless, they’ve done a great job of developing the area (with some help from some joint EU grants they have with their Slovakian counterparts) for tourism.  For instance, we stayed at a great, new apartment house that is rented out by the Hungarian National Parks service; it wasn’t expensive and was the perfect place for us.  We were hoping to also do some hiking in the area, but the weather did not cooperate (fortunately, the weather in the caves is the same year-round).

On the trip back to Budapest, we stopped at yet another cave — Miskolctapolca. This cave experience is less scholarly than the others; inside these caves have been built an extensive set of miskolc tappools and baths.  Needless to say, the kids (and adults) had a great time swimming.  In particular, I enjoyed the warm baths on the upper level, but I was less thrilled about having to follow Matthew into the cooler baths!


Néptánc (traditional dance)


Jumping around to reggae music wasn’t the only dance-related program from a couple of weeks ago.  Panka also had a recital for her dance group at ovoda (preschool).  Each week she goes to a traditional Hungarian dance class pankagreti(néptánc) for 1 hour, and her group was part of a big program featuring children’s dance groups from all around Budapest.

Panka and her group had a lot of fun.  They gathered in a classroom at the school where the recital was held and all dressed up in their colorful outfits. They played and ate and did there hair, and when the time came, kids and families all made there way to the activity room for their chance to perform.  The kids danced for about 5 minutes — lots of twirling, spinning, clapping, kicking and stomping (no injuries were reported).