Career Services

Lebanon Valley College

What are your goals for 2014?

If you’re like me, it doesn’t set in that it’s a new year until it is mid-January and you’ve had several opportunities to write 2014 on documents or in emails.  You may also be like me in that I refuse to set resolutions, knowing that my brain is hardwired to say “forget about it” three to four weeks in.  Instead, I set goals.  This year my goal is to get up earlier each morning so that I can ease into my day, turn on the news (and actually hear some of it), and no longer be in a rush to get out the door.  Although my goal may not be something you’re particularly interested in, perhaps you can think of something that you’re hoping to change, begin, or focus energy on in the coming year.

Your goals (or resolutions) whether personal or professional, are entirely up to you.  But I’d encourage you to set some!  The Campus Career Coach offered Six Career Resolutions for 2014 that are most appropriate for individuals already in the workforce, but are thought-provoking for anyone.

For those of you just beginning to engage in activities that will propel you toward your first job or internship, consider the following “resolutions”:

Be intentional – What things can you get involved in, or how can you think about things you’re already active in a little bit differently?  Planning to work or intern or study abroad this semester or in the coming summer? Be intentional about the goals you set for yourself and ask for ways in which you can gain experiences or use your time best.  Or, intentionally seek out new things to explore and become involved in to help gain experience in an area of interest.

Tell Stories – You likely tell stories all the time when discussing past experiences.  Consider tweaking, tailoring, and practicing those stories so that your focus becomes one that demonstrates your strengths, abilities, and reactions toward certain situations.  (Hint: meet with Career Services staff – we have several tips/techniques to help you tell your stories!)

Meet New People – Yes, I mean networking.  And exploring, and asking questions, and learning about new companies and products and services.  Get out there and meet people; not because you think every meeting will land you a job immediately, but because every meeting is an opportunity for a next meeting.  And you never know what opportunities will come from putting yourself out there and letting others get to know you.

These may or may not fit with your 2014 goals, but hopefully they’ll remind you to look at this next year as an opportunity to move along in your professional development and planning.  Let us know how we can help!

Happy New Year!

Gwen Miller, associate director of career services