Lebanon Valley College AfterMath

Alumni News Items

Here are a few alumni news items received since the end of the former AfterMath newsletter format.

From Eric McInturff ’12

After graduating last May, I moved to Hellertown PA (about 10 miles east of Allentown off I78) and rented a one bedroom apartment.  I’m  working at Chubb Insurance in Warren NJ, which leaves me with about a 45 minute one-way commute (without traffic).  I would have liked to live in NJ, but given how much higher the cost of living is, I probably won’t be able to comfortably afford it for at least a couple more years.  My girlfriend of 5 years moved in with me this past June, which thankfully has worked out great and gone very smoothly.  She’s finishing up her last semester at Kutztown University (doing some student teaching at a elementary school in Allentown).  I think we’ll probably be engaged by the end of the year.

Work has gotten progressively better since I started in June of last year.  I’m at the global headquarters building in the actuarial loss reserving department.  Starting in that fast-paced, demanding environment has been very challenging.  It took several months before I began to understand the work I was being assigned.  Even after 15 months, I still feel like I have a lot left to learn, though I have gotten much more comfortable performing reserve analyses, making carried IBNR adjustments, and completing some of the other recurring tasks.  My work is reviewed by the worldwide senior vice president of reserving, and the chief actuary for the company also sits in my department, so learning first-hand from those individuals should benefit my career moving forward.

As far as my actuarial exam status, I currently have Exams P, FM, MLC, MFE, and C, all three VEE’s, and I started working on the CAS modules earlier this summer.  I actually have my first CAS module exam next Friday, so hopefully that will go well.  It’s hard to believe I’ve been graduated for over a year now.  Living in the “real world” definitely has it’s advantages, but I do still miss aspects of college-life at LVC.

From Nathan Kearney ’12

I worked odd jobs over the Summer, traveling a bit and preparing for the big trip I took this Fall.  I went to the UK for 5 weeks, early October to early November.  Three of those weeks were with fellow LVC alum Joe Mancinelli (physics major, you may have had him for a Calc. III or Differential Equations class).  We went all over the country, from London to rural Scotland and back.  I got to do everything I missed from my study abroad, and even got to revisit some of my favorite places.  It was a great trip.

Also, I’m renting a house in Baltimore city with a couple of friends from high school.  Now that I’m back from Europe and out of my parents house, it’s time to start the job search.  Last summer I had an internship in an IT department, and I got interested in doing that type of work for a living.

From Steven Campbell ’11

I just got a new job as the lead developer in a startup animation/game studio in Lancaster called Second Fiction.

From Jason Clay ’04

I’m no longer working for The Hartford Company.  It was a very tough decision for me, but I decided to try something new & different.  I am now the lead actuary at a small company called AIX Group, a subsidiary of The Hanover Insurance Group.  So I’ve got my own office now and 2 people working for me (hopefully 3 in the near future) and things are going well so far (I’ve only been here 4 weeks).   I’m still working on the major P&C lines, but AIX focuses on program business, which is just a different way of writing premium through agents that have a specialized niche, etc.

The most exciting news is that my wife & I are expecting our first child in late August!  So 2013 is bringing a whole lot of “new” to the Clay family.